Short Story "The Timeless Answer"

 “The Timeless Answer”

Hallo, I’m Mars, a first-year student at International Technology University. A top technology university in the world. There are so many great alumni who graduated from my campus. Take Prof. Joyce from the Americas who invented an Artificial Rain Maker, Prof. Angkasa, a scientist who successfully made a plane to visit the planet Mars, and Prof. Mindsa, a psychology scientist who create a Mind Eraser.

Right in my first year at International Technology University, I created a Love App. I mean, a meta-based app that is like real life. Nowadays, people are so busy with their jobs that they rarely think about getting married and having a life partner. Most of them choose to live alone without a partner. They think having children costs a lot of money. Consequently, the number of singles in the world has risen sharply. And it affects the decline of population in this world. Death cases are greater than birth cases. This worried the world government. Finally, the world leaders announced a contest for anyone who could create an invention to solve the problem, would get a very large prize. With the support of my mom and dad, I entered the competition. And unexpectedly, I won the competition with my invention, the Love App.

The way of the Love App works is quite easy. After inputting our personal data correctly, we will be represented by an animated character in the application. The animated character will live like our daily life until finally finding a partner who matches the desired criteria. If they feel suitable, the two couples can meet in real life and get married. If they want to have children, they can simply deposit their ovum and spermatozoa at a laboratory in the town centre. Done. 

I was proud to be able to help the government solve the problem of population decline. I also felt happy that I could help others meet their true love. However, for some reason I felt empty myself. With all the technological conveniences I had, and all the achievements I had made, I still didn't feel happy.

I'm 21 years old and I've never experienced falling in love. What is true love? How does it feel to fall in love at first sight? I did create a love app, but I'm not interested in using it. I once read an old book in the head room of the national library that told a story of a man in love set a hundred years ago. It was simple, beautiful, yet heart-stopping. Love that exists without any technology. Love that was just present in two sincere human hearts. They got married, lived their lives together, and had children. It’s something that is expensive for people today who only think about their personal lives. And because of that, the reason why I’m currently here. In a university cafeteria. Waiting for my best friend.

“Your order is ready.” Suddenly the voice of a robot broke my reverie. 

Just as I was about to eat my food, suddenly there was the sound of Tess... like a big drop of water. Then the person I had been waiting for two hours appeared in front of me. Eins. 

“Sorry, I'm late. There was a flying car that had an accident. So, I’ve to take care of it first.” Said Eins, who had just arrived using the passage switch in disappearing mode.

Forget what Eins' reason is, there are more important things to talk about. “As I mentioned yesterday, I want access to Prof. Kate's Shifting Passage. Did you get it?”

“It's very hard, my friend. I had to sneak into Prof. Kate's private room at night. But, for the sake of our friendship, I'll do anything.” Eins explained while sending the access code for the Shifting Passage  through the hologram card we had. 

Yes! I clenched my fist. Finally, my plan to go to a hundred years ago went smoothly. “Thanks, Eins. I'll always remember your kindness.” I said as I was about to stand up, saying goodbye.

“Wait a minute, Mars.” I turned to look at him. What? “You only have one hour to visit 2024.” Eins explained. I nodded.

***

After inputting the encryption code on my hologram screen, a transparent hologram-shaped door finally appeared in front of me. I walked straight into the doorway. Everything was covered in dazzling white light. This passage was a little uncomfortable. Five minutes into it, I was about to vomit. But I cut it short because I seemed to have reached the end of the hallway.

Splashh... 

I arrived at a magnificent building with green carpets. A dome with ornate artwork in the form of writing looks beautiful right above me. There were several people in front of me doing something strange. What was that movement? They were doing the same movement. A man with a white Copiah was leading them at the front. I just remembered. I've read about it and seen pictures of it in ancient manuscripts. This was a place of worship. I stood still watching them until they finished, and I didn't realize that someone had been watching me.

“Can I help you, Sir?” A woman's voice came from behind. I reflexively turned around and, oh my! The first time my eyeballs looked into her eyes, I felt like there was a magnet that was so strong. For a moment, my heart, oh my gosh my heartbeat faster. Her eyeballs were sharp, reflecting a high level of curiosity. Her head is covered by a pink cloth, I don't know what it's called, but it adds to her charm. 

“Hello, my name is Mars. I come from the year 2124.” I said while offering my hand. Get acquainted. 

The woman in front of me was transfixed. Fifteen seconds of silence. Until finally she left me just like that. She seemed to think I was crazy or insane. I didn't know where to go or what to do. So, I decided to follow her. While walking, I observed the surroundings. The situation a hundred years ago was very different. Their technology was old-fashioned. Their means of transportation were very old-fashioned. They still drive their cars manually, let alone flying cars. Look, the train still uses electricity. The speed is still ordinary. In my century, trains were capsule-shaped and underground. It can even go under the sea. Don't even ask about the speed. Even cross-continental travel can be done in just a few hours using the capsule train. 

The woman entered a restaurant.

“What can I do for you, sir?” asked the woman as she handed over the menu book. Her face looked friendlier. 

“I'll have meatballs and hot tea.” I said after looking at the menu. The meatballs here are round with vermicelli and vegetables. Unlike in my century, whatever the name of the food, it's still white porridge. 

“But I forgot to bring money.” I said a little hesitantly. I forgot to bring money these century. 

“That's okay. Every Friday, this restaurant provides free food.” She said, then a second later left me who was still staring at her back. 

After waiting for about ten minutes, the woman finally came back with the food.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked, preventing her from leaving. “What is that cloth you're wearing on your head?”

Upon hearing my question, the woman decided not to leave. She sat on the chair by my side.

“This is hijab. Every woman who embraces Islam must wear it as a form of obedience to her Lord.”

“Don't you feel constrained?”

“Not at all.” The woman smiled. “In fact, wearing the hijab makes me feel protected. I'm comfortable wearing it. And with this hijab, I can still do anything like other women who don't wear it.”

I nodded. “So, what is Islam?”

“Islam is a religion that teaches compassion, peace, and love.”

“Why do you believe in religion so much? Isn't it because of religion that humans are at war with other humans?”

She Smiled. “The bloodshed or wars that occur in this world are not caused by religion. Rather, it arises from its adherents. Isn't greed the nature of man? So, even if there was no religion, wars would still occur. In fact, with religion, life becomes more organized because there are laws contained in the holy book. Like this religion that I follow, it is so peaceful and teaches love not only to humans but to all creatures in this world, including animals and plants. The name Islam itself means peace. Believe me, only by remembering God does the heart become calm.”

I froze. Since childhood my parents never taught me about religion. I was only taught to do right. That was all. But that wasn't enough to make me happy. My heart still felt empty. And when I saw those people praying in that domed building, I felt so peaceful. Maybe this is the answer I've been looking for. Yes, I got it. But suddenly the clock on my wrist blinked red. It was a sign that my time was over. 

“Oh yeah, what's your name?” I asked in a slightly tense tone. 

“Haura.”

Just as she said her name, my body was instantly consumed by a white light. Disappeared. 

Haura. An Angel.


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Cerita Purnama

Seni Bersyukur

Nasihat Mengenai Jodoh